Hiking The Merrick Trail



The Merrick is the highest summit in southern Scotland and part of the Galloway ranges. My husband tried to summit it in September, with the intention of camping on the summit. But a rookie mistake of carrying too much kit combined with having no idea exactly how challenging the trail actually is, kept him from getting all the way there.

Bottom of the trail

Anyway, I was desperate to get away myself for a few days. I work a lot of hours now and after six years its no longer "working from home", its "living at work". So when Kevan suggested I come with him back to Loch Trool where the Merrick Trail begins and hike it with him I agreed. Little did I know what was in store for me. Kevan described his earlier hike on the Merrick and while it sounded difficult in places, I wasn't at all prepared for the reality.  The trail is a steep ascent over rough, rocky terrain and through a even steeper forested bit. The whole trail had had a lot of rain prior to this so was muddy and wet with deep puddles that in places, bordered on being small lakes! In total it is an 8.4 mile (13 km) hike.

Needless to say, we didn't summit Merrick this trip either. I'm bloody astonished I made it as far as I did; to within about a mile or so of the summit. Honestly, when we made camp late in the afternoon after a four hour slog, I seriously thought the local mountain rescue was going to be the only way I would make it back down the damn trail in the morning. Fortunately, the descent wasn't anything like as torturous as the ascent and half as long too. Weird that. It was wet and cold that night, but fortunately, we had good equipment including a Hilleberg tent that keeps the weather out. The tailgate breakfast after the descent back down the trail the next day never tasted so good.








The hike was rough, but the scenery was outstanding! I don\'t think I'll be doing any more ascents. I'll stick to pitching my tent next to one of those lochs of which Scotland as loads. If you are keen to get away from it all, this is the place to go! Below is the map of where we went.




Comments