Halloween 2022

 


Hard to believe that October has come and gone so quickly! It has been unseasonably warm and very windy and wet throughout the last two weeks of the month. Halloween was no exception; dry all day, then at supper time the rain started. 

Until I moved to this area in England in 2019, I'd never had trick or treaters. Last year I had six and was thrilled, this year I had three. In contrast, my son in New Brunswick had 120 this year. Halloween isn't a British holiday and trick or treating isn't part of Samhain which originated in Ireland. Trick or treating was born in the States in the 1930s, was curtailed due to WW2, then re-started after the war. I don't know how any of it managed to emigrate to this side of the Atlantic, but I know the holiday isn't generally popular in the U.K., despite efforts by retailers. I even had one person tell me years ago that Halloween was "that ghastly American holiday". 

I think Halloween themed house parties and until recently, parties held at school here are more the norm than going house to house. With the post Pandemic/Russia-Ukraine situation, I think we need every excuse for a bit of light and joy in our lives. It doesn't have to be expensive and please, if you aren't a fan of the holiday, just leave the porch light off and let the rest of us enjoy.





Comments