Winter Haircare Favourites

 

It feels very Spring-like here today; 11C, breezy. Last night I sat with the bedroom window open and a nice hair mask of Michael van Clarke's 3"' more inches, LifeSaver pre wash treatment on.  I discovered the brand via The Londoner and haven't looked back.

I used to have a thick, heavy head of hair. Age, menopause and years of hair colouring means its not so thick or heavy as it used to be. A certain amount of thinning isn't unusual as we get older and there are things you can do to take care of your hair and help to minimise the impact of Life.  Diet plays a big part, as it does for so much of our overall health. Chemical treatments, heat styling and sun exposure also contribute to your hair being more or less in good shape.

3"' more inches is a cashmere protein based treatment, silicone-free that moisturises the hair but doesn't weight it down or leave your scalp and hair feeling greasy.  Why cashmere? Because cashmere protein is almost identical to human hair molecules. The super fine protein amino acids go deep into the hair shaft to help rebuild and protect. 

I use it as a weekly treatment, applying to dry hair, then leaving it in for at least two hours, though overnight is best, then shampooing as usual afterwards.  Its helped to thicken my hair, the shine is impoved and I see less shedding than I used to.

I've been looking at supplements a lot for skin, hair and nails, but haven't settled on one yet. Michael van Clarke does one called Powershot Nutrients with L-lysine, an amino acid that helps prevent excessive hair shedding and promotes the building of healthy connective tissue for hair and nails.  It also has iron, zinc and B vitamins. I've been taking a vitamin B complex for a long time and can't say it makes a difference outwardly but it may not be enough on its own. 

There are two other brands that come to mind and have been around for a long time; Imedeen and Perfectil.  None are cheap, not even store brands, so its a case of deciding which one to go with.  When I do decide, I'll post about it and let you know if I feel its worthwhile.

Do you have some favourite products for your hair?




Comments