March

 

March has arrived and here in England we are in what's called "meteorological Spring". Meteorological Spring is based on annual temperature cycles and the Gregorian calendar and encompasses March, April and May. 

This differs from astronomical Spring or the Vernal Equinox and is on March 20th this year. Personally, I like to follow the seasons astronomically because I think they are more accurate. Well, somewhat more accurate. Snow at Easter isn't uncommon in the Maritimes, especially if Easter falls in March rather than April.  The astronomical seasons are based on Leap Years and the elliptical shape of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, bringing us closer or further away from it.

The weather forecast here is for Winter to creep back in next week, though no snow where I am, and the remainder of March looking to be on the cold side. I have a few containers outside that will need to come into the back porch to keep the frost off them. February was a spoiler with lots of sun and mild temps, such a relief after the preceding three months that were mostly wet and windy.  I got the garden tidied up, planted more mini daffodil bulbs for next Spring and potted some geraniums which had wintered indoors. 

Someone once said "we want Spring in February and Summer in April". Far be it from me to rush the seasons, but I appreciate the sentiment. 


Comments

  1. Yes, I heard a weather forecaster yesterday using the term "meteorological Spring" and I thought "what the hell is that?" So thanks for the explanation! If it encompasses "March, April and May" then its hardly a concept with pinpoint accuracy, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well with climate change, however you interpret that, I don't think any system is foolproof.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to think spring starts with March just like autumn starts with September. But in the UK it's often more wintery than December or January. But whatever the weather, I follow meteorological seasons at least when it comes to autumn. I find it absurd to say September is mostly a summer month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Fall is my favourite time of year, anything after the Labour Day weekend is no longer Summer in my books.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!