Happy Maple Leaf Day



Who says social media is a soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation? I mean other than Wednesday Addams. 

I follow a wonderful Canadian account on Twitter (I refuse to use the new branding) by Craig Baird (@CraigBaird) who also does a podcast on all things Canadian. I didn't know this, but Craig did; today, the last Wednesday of September, is apparently Maple Leaf Day.

At least one species of maple grows natively in every province in Canada. The maple leaf was adopted as the emblem of French Canadians in the 1700s. In 1868 it was found on the coat of arms of both Ontario and Quebec and was added to the Canadian coat of arms in 1921. It has been printed on every Canadian penny since 1901.

And in 1965, the new Canadian flag was unveiled featuring the distinctive red maple leaf. 

There is even a Scottish tartan fabric called "Maple Leaf"! 

And there's nothing sweeter than maple leaf shaped cookies filled with maple cream. I stand by my statement that Peak Freens still make the best ones. 

So who says social media isn't helpful. 









Comments

  1. Well, I've learned something new! I did not know today was Maple Leaf Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!