Fungi

 

I spotted this while out with Honey yesterday. I thought this one was called Chicken of the Woods, an edible mushroom known as "shelf" fungi, but when I looked it up, it doesn't resemble that mushroom at all. 

I tried Plant Snap,  who said its a Shaggy Bracket. Might look kind of cool, but is actually a parasitic fungus that grows on dead or dying hardwood trees. The thing is the tree looked perfectly healthy to me so I'm not sure I have the right one. Any takers?


And I love these red spotted ones which I think are called fly agaric and are definitely not edible.






Comments

  1. Sorry, I know nothing about fungi! Don't gnomes and fairies live under those red and white spotty ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legend has it, yes, but I can't say I saw any on my travels. Or maybe the little beggars are invisible. I haven't checked, I respect their privacy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!