Christmas Traditions, Got Any?


I've been reading a few threads posted by other bloggers about their Christmas traditions. I thought I would share mine here, such as they were/are.

Growing up, Christmas Day was always spent at home, though relatives would usually arrive and my mother spent most of the day in the kitchen producing a massive dinner for everyone. How many generations of women can relate to that eh? Boxing Day was for visiting said relatives and consigning their women to the kitchen. Why didn't the men get off their asses and pitch in? Weird isn't it, looking back on it. 

When my kids were still in the Santa phase, I had a pop up cardboard mail holder with a Christmas theme on it. The cards that came in the mail were left unopened and put into the box and when a few had accumulated they would take turns opening the cards. It was a simple thing, didn't cost a cent, but was highly anticipated. 

Pins, brooches, whatever you like to call them. I remember when these were a common accessory on coats and dresses. I especially loved the holiday themed variety and liked to wear them on my winter coat.  I still have three of these, though I haven't worn them in a long time. They are all made in a nice thick resin with sturdy pins. The Santa head is stamped Hallmark Canada, Inc on the the back. I have my daughter to thank for still having that one. I lost a lot of things when her father and I divorced, but she had this and gave it back to me.


Office Christmas parties; does anyone still do those? I remember going to some really good office parties when the kids were young. Food and drink was usually catered and everyone went home with a load of leftovers that were pounced on by the family when you got home. 

I wish I could say I made some new traditions when I moved to England twenty years ago, but I haven't. I had hoped my husband's family would have some, but being highly dysfunctional, occasions with them tend to be a chore rather than a pleasure. Over the years there are fewer of them alive now and those who are left have moved away so it tends to just be the two of us and the dog. The only tradition I can think we do is seafood for New Year. My late mother always did a big ham for New Year's Day, but they are hard to find here so seafood is a nice substitute. 

My son's wife is a wonderful girl and a huge fan of the holidays. She likes to make an occasion of Christmas Eve and the grandkids each get a box of things, usually new Christmas pjs, some sweets and a toy or two, and everyone watches Christmas movies. 

I think its important to preserve the good things about the holidays and create new traditions for ourselves if we find ourselves away from our family and friends. The religious aspect of Christmas is almost unacknowledged these days and the commercial bit has become so burdensome, you need to step back and evaluate what matters to you. As the Grinch found out; 




Comments

  1. You know, I was just thinking of Christmas pins and corsages the other day. I remember the kind of pins you show in that photo -- had a couple myself -- a reindeer one in particular I recall. But do you remember corsages from the 1960s? They were often made with coloured tinsel, glitter and tiny accoutrements like wee bells or ornaments and were worn on a woman's winter coat. My grandma always had a new one each Christmas because they didn't stand up to more than one season's wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a very merry Christmas, Ali!! And a happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got so many traditions on my side of the family! Some relate to food, other to, well, everything else. Buches de Noël, the electric train under the Christmas tree, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!