Falling Short


Over the weekend I watched the historical drama series "George & Mary", about Mary Villiers and one of her sons, George, who eventually became the first Duke of Buckingham thanks to his services in the bed of Janes I of England.

Anyway, the series wasn't all that great, but Julianne Moore played the part of Mary Villiers well and there was a scene set soon after she was widowed. Her first husband had died and it turned out his estate was so much in debt there wasn't anything for her to support herself and five children. What she said in that scene really stuck with me. She said "I have no property in my name, no assets and no money. What am I to do?" In Mary's case, she did what most women of the early 16th century had to do, remarry. And she soon got to work addressing the shortfallings to ensure financial independence. 

She was right, whether the real Mary Villiers said it or not. Being financially dependent as an adult is a perilous thing.  Unfortunately, I find myself in that very position. You would have thought after many years of working I would have something to show for it, but I don't.  I have no property, no assets and little money. Come July I will have the income from two small government pensions, one Canadian, the other U.K., that wouldn't keep a cat in today's economy. 

And I have no one but myself to blame. When I should have been contributing to a private pension, I wasn't. When I should have been putting money into some sort of asset that was mine alone, I wasn't. 

The house is in my husband's name because we couldn't get good mortgage terms had I been on it and there was never any possibility of ownership during my first marriage. I had a sum of money from an old workplace pension scheme in Canada that I ported over here and cashed in to help buy our first house. Again, I wasn't on the mortgage so therefore not on the deed of ownership. U.K. banks won't allow it. I can only think its some 19th century throwback and it needs changing.

Every penny earned, including a small inheritance from my late father, from both my marriages has gone to keeping other people and paying debt. Houses, cars (I don't drive either), loans. This has left me as an individual falling very short financially and its too late to play catch up now. 

I'm not suggesting my husband has been sponging off me, he certainly hasn't. He is younger than I and makes  more money than I ever could. But we always had a joint account and he managed the budget. And did a decent job of it.  However there was no reason for me to have not made provision for myself, especially over the last decade when I was working steady. 

It was stupid and shortsighted. I'm not looking for answers or sympathy, just sending out a warning. Don't be stupid. 


Comments

  1. I've been contemplating a few mistakes of my own lately. Humbling, but what's done is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary is the word that comes to mind and I'm not alone in this. I know quite a few over 50s who have done all the forward planning etc. and it won't be enough.

      Delete
  2. And P.S., thanks for bringing the series "Mary and George" to my attention! It's going to be shown on TV here starting April 5, so I intend to watch it. Julianne Moore is one of my favourite actresses, plus I'm a fan of the Stuarts historical period. And of course, any gay theme is just my jam as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a bit puzzled by the emphasis on gay. James, like lots of men through history, were bisexual in my book. They had children, some had mistresses as well as wives, but are called gay because they had male partners.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you're right, of course, about their bisexuality. "Gay" here is being used in a very loose and generic way.

      Delete
  3. Hey Alison, here's an update -- last week I watched the first episode of "Mary and George." I must confess that I didn't really enjoy it -- virtually every character except young George was SO conniving and dislikable, it turned me off. Since I couldn't warm up to the series, I won't be watching any more of it. Too bad, because I like Julianne Moore as an actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not for everyone and I have to admit. I'm watching the new Shogun series and while I appreciate the authenticity of the sets and costumes, the story line is veering away from the book too much for my liking.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!